Sublimation paper is one of the most versatile and useful products for creating designs with a Cricut machine. It is a special type of paper that is designed to absorb ink from a sublimation printer and transfer it onto a variety of surfaces. The result is a vibrant and permanent design that is perfect for customizing apparel, home decor, and other creative projects. In this guide, you will learn how to use sublimation paper with a Cricut machine to create stunning designs.
Cricut Settings for Sublimation Paper
When using Cricut for sublimation paper, the following settings should be used:
Material: Sublimation Paper
Blade: Deep Cut Blade
Multi-Cut: 2 -Action: Print and Cut
Use Sublimation Paper with Cricut
1. Set up your Cricut machine and ensure that it is connected to your computer via the USB cord.
2. Load a sheet of sublimation paper into the feeder tray.
3. If using sublimation ink, load the ink cartridge into the printer.
4. Open the design software program that you are using and create your design.
5. Export the design as a printable file.
6. Load the printable file onto your Cricut machine.
7. Select the “Print” option on the Cricut machine.
8. Select the type of paper you are using (sublimation paper).
9. Select the size of the paper you are using (usually 8.5” x 11”).
10. Select the type of ink you are using (sublimation ink).
11. Select the quality of the print you want (high or low).
12. Select the number of copies you want to print.
13. Click “Print”.
14. Once the print is complete, remove the paper from the feeder tray.
15. Place the printed sublimation paper onto the heat transfer material of your choice (t-shirt, mug, etc.).
16. Place the heat transfer material onto the heat press.
17. Set the temperature and time according to the instructions on the sublimation paper.
18. Close the heat press and allow the transfer to complete.
19. Once the transfer is complete, remove the heat transfer material from the heat press and allow it to cool.
20. Peel off the backing of the transfer and enjoy your custom design!
Beware of the Things While Using Sublimation Paper with Cricut
- Ensure that you are using the right weight of sublimation paper. Sublimation paper comes in different weights and you should use the weight that is suitable for the material you are working with.
- Be sure to use the correct settings on your Cricut machine. Different settings are needed for different materials, so make sure you are using the correct ones for the sublimation paper.
- Avoid using too much pressure when cutting. This can cause the paper to buckle and not cut properly.
- Make sure that the sublimation paper is correctly lined up on the cutting mat. If it is not lined up correctly, you may end up with an uneven or distorted image.
- Be careful when removing the sublimation paper from the cutting mat. Use a spatula or other non-scratching tool to avoid damaging the paper.
- Always read the instructions on the sublimation paper before using it, as there may be additional steps or requirements that need to be followed.
Using sublimation paper with a Cricut is a great way to create custom designs for t-shirts and other fabric items. The process is simple and straightforward: print your design onto the sublimation paper, cut it with your Cricut machine, press it onto your fabric item, and watch your design transfer beautifully. With the right materials and a little practice, you can create beautiful, lasting designs on fabric with your Cricut and sublimation paper.
Can you use sublimation paper in a Cricut?
Yes. It turns out that Cricut Design Space can absolutely be used for sublimation printing! The simplest way to use Cricut Design Space for sublimation is to upload sublimation PNG files using the upload tool. This is most likely going to be your best option if you’re not a designer.
How does Cricut sublimation paper work?
According to science, sublimation is the transition of a substance from a solid to a gas without ever becoming a liquid. Sublimation is the process by which dehydrated (solid) ink sheets transfer the dyes from the sheet they were originally printed on to the sublimation blank you are personalising.
What paper type setting do you use for sublimation?
Select a weight between 110 and 120 gsm. The paper will get softer and weaker in stiffness at the same time since it is very simple to acquire damp in high humidity. It will be challenging to print neatly on low weight paper because the stiffness and hardness will decrease. Currently, 110-120 gsm is the best option.
What Cricut vinyl can you sublimate on?
Vinyl must be permanent (not repositionable), transparent or white in order to sublimate on it. It doesn’t matter if it is glossy or matte.
Do you peel sublimation paper hot or cold?
Set the heat press to about 180°C and use it for about 40 seconds if the item you are heat pressing has a lot of stretch, like a swimming costume. When the sublimation paper is cold, peel it.