Becoming a doctor is a dream that many students around the world have. When getting an MBBS degree, many students who want to be doctors have difficulty deciding whether to study in India or look for opportunities abroad. Russia has become famous for Indian students who wish to become doctors because it offers unique benefits and challenges.
In this blog, we will differentiate MBBS in Russia from MBBS in India, highlighting the pros and cons of making an up-to-date decision about your future.
Challenges faced by Medical Aspirants in India
Securing a medical seat in India poses significant challenges for aspiring doctors. Here are some of the obstacles students face:
1. Limited Government Medical Seats: India’s medical education infrastructure has struggled to keep speed with the growing demand for MBBS seats. Despite recent efforts to increase the number of medical colleges, the chances of securing a government medical seat remain slim, with acceptance rates hovering around 5%.
2. High Costs of Private Medical Education: The exorbitant fees charged by private colleges in India often make it impossible for students from middle-class families to pursue their medical aspirations. The cost of a private MBBS seat can range from 65 lakhs to 1.5 crores, placing an immense financial burden on students and their families.
3. Lack of Global Exposure: The Indian medical education system limits exposure to diverse cultures and perspectives. With 85% of MBBS seats reserved for students from their respective states, students often lack opportunities to interact with characters from different backgrounds and broaden their horizons.
Key Differences between MBBS in Russia and MBBS in India
|MBBS in Russia
|MBBS in India
|Both Public & Private
|4.5+ 1 Years
|Language of Instruction
|English or Russian
|Recognized by WHO and NMC
|Recognized by WHO and MCI
|Less competitive, typically based on academic performance
|Highly competitive, requiring a high score in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET)
|Public-1-3 Lacs Pvt 60 Lacs to 1.5 Cr
|Ample clinical exposure throughout the program
|Limited clinical exposure, particularly in government medical colleges
|Modern infrastructure and facilities
|Varied infrastructure, ranging from modern to outdated
|50-100 Years experienced
|Mostly 5-20 Years
|Good job opportunities in Russia and India
|Only job opportunities in India
Why Russia has emerged as a favourite destination for Indian Students
Russia has emerged as a famous destination for Indian students seeking to pursue higher education, particularly in medicine. Several factors contribute to this growing trend:
- Affordability MBBS programs
- Less Competitive Admission Process
- Ample Clinical Exposure
- Modern Infrastructure and Facilities
- Global Exposure and Cultural Diversity
- Recognition of Degrees
- English-Taught Programs
- Safe and Secure Environment
- Growing Indian Community
- Opportunity to Learn Russian
Challenges in Russia for Indian Students
While pursuing an MBBS education in Russia offers many benefits, it also presents certain challenges that Indian students may face. These include:
1. Language Barrier: English is not commonly spoken in Russia, making daily communication difficult. While Russian language classes are provided, they may not be sufficient for seamless interactions.
2. Bilingual Program Misrepresentation: Some agents mislead students by misrepresenting the program’s language of instruction, often enrolling them in bilingual programs. Carefully selecting a university that offers a complete English program is crucial.
3. Misleading Claims about USMLE & NExT Preparation: Some agents falsely claim that Russian universities provide coaching for licensing exams like NEXT, USMLE, or PLAB. These exams are not part of the Russian medical curriculum, and students are responsible for preparing for them independently. Students can take online coaching from Moksh Overseas.
The decision between pursuing an MBBS in India or Russia depends on your personal preferences and circumstances. India provides the advantage of a familiar language and curriculum, but securing a seat is highly competitive, and fees can be expensive. To assess your chances of securing a seat in India, you can utilize the MOKSH Career Planner App for expert guidance or inquiries about MBBS in Russia.
Aretha Davis, the wordsmith extraordinaire, weaves enchanting tales with her pen and keyboard. A renowned blogger and writer, her captivating prose transports readers to realms unknown. Join her literary journey and be swept away by the magic of her words.