If you are looking for ways to remove sublimation ink from mugs, you’re in the right place! Sublimation ink is a great way to create custom designs on mugs, but it can be difficult to remove if mistakes are made. In this guide, you’ll find 7 methods for removing sublimation ink from mugs. From using a heat gun to using alcohol, you’re sure to find a method that works best for you. Let’s get started!
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug by Washing in Dishwasher
It is not recommended to wash mugs with sublimation ink in a dishwasher as the high temperature of the water and detergent can damage the print and cause the colors to fade or run. Hand-washing with a mild soap and warm water is the best way to remove sublimation ink from a mug.
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug by Painting Over the Logo
If you want to remove a sublimation ink logo from a mug, you can paint over it with a few coats of acrylic craft paint. Make sure to use a paint that has a glossy finish to help seal the paint and keep it from smudging. You may also want to spray a clear sealer over the paint to further protect it. Apply the paint in thin layers, allowing each coats to dry completely before applying the next. You may need to repeat the process several times in order to completely cover the sublimation logo.
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug by Using Rubbing Alcohol or Nail Polish Remover
Yes, you can use rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to remove sublimation ink from a mug. The method involves wetting a cotton swab or cloth with either rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover and then gently rubbing the area with the ink. After a few minutes, the ink should start to fade away. You may need to repeat the process a few times before the ink is completely removed. Make sure to keep the mug wet with either the alcohol or remover, or else the ink may set in. Finally, rinse the mug with warm water and detergent to remove any remaining residue.
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug by Applying the Paint Stripper
- Place the mug in a well-ventilated area.
- Using a paintbrush, apply a paint stripper to the mug.
- Allow the paint stripper to sit on the mug for 10 minutes.
- Use a soft cloth to rub the stripper into the mug’s surface.
- Once the paint stripper has been worked into the mug, use a damp cloth to wipe away the paint stripper and any sublimation ink residue.
- Use a clean cloth to dry the mug and inspect for any remaining sublimation ink residue.
- Repeat steps 2-6 until all sublimation ink has been removed.
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug With Scotch-Brite
It is possible to remove sublimation ink from a mug with a Scotch-Brite pad. First, fill the mug with warm water and a small amount of dish soap. Then, use the Scotch-Brite pad to scrub the ink off of the mug in a circular motion. Be sure to rinse the mug with clean water after scrubbing. Repeat if necessary until the ink is removed.
Most Related Article: How to Make Heat Press Transfers: 7 Working Methods
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug With a Fabric Koozie
- Place the mug inside the fabric koozie.
- Secure the koozie around the mug with a rubber band.
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a few drops of liquid dishwashing soap.
- Dip a soft cloth into the soapy water and wring it out.
- Gently rub the cloth over the outside of the mug.
- Rinse the cloth in warm water and repeat the process until the sublimation ink is removed.
- Dry the mug with a clean cloth.
Remove Sublimation Ink from Mug by Sponge Method
- Place the mug on a flat surface and dampen a clean sponge with warm water.
- Gently rub the sponge over the area where the sublimation ink is located.
- Continue rubbing with the damp sponge until the ink has been removed from the mug.
- If the ink is stubborn and difficult to remove, use a mild dish soap and water solution to help loosen the ink.
- Rinse the mug thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Dry the mug completely with a clean, dry cloth.
Removing sublimation ink from mugs can be a tricky job. But with the right methods, it is possible. Some of the best ways to remove sublimation ink from mugs include using dish soap, using nail polish remover, using rubbing alcohol, using a heat press, using an eraser, using an iron, and using an oven cleaner. With the right tools and techniques, you can easily remove sublimation ink from mugs and get your mugs looking brand new again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you remove the coating from a mug?
- Remove the cap from the cup and place it on a trash towel (top).
- Dip a cotton ball into the nail polish remover and test an area to be removed in a well-ventilated location. Continue to use if successful.
- To make one cup, you’ll need numerous cotton balls.
- Brush the film away with a paper towel or cloth.
- After removing the film, thoroughly wash the travel mug.
Does vinegar remove coffee stains from mugs?
Fill the cup halfway with white vinegar. Allow the mixture to soak for ten minutes. Discard the vinegar water and clean the recently empty cup with an abrasive sponge. After that, simply rinse with clean water and you’re done!
How do you get the color out of a ceramic mug?
Fill your cup halfway with distilled white vinegar ($4, Target), then cover with boiling water. Allow the mixture to settle for at least 10 minutes to allow the vinegar to work its magic. After soaking, use dish soap and a soft sponge to scrape away the stains, then rinse.
Does hand sanitizer remove coffee stains?
Coffee stains: While driving, I spilt some coffee on a light-colored shirt. My hand-sanitizer pen in my handbag was the only thing accessible. I squirted it softly on the stain, and the coffee stains were entirely removed!
How do you remove color from ceramic?
Simply dab the discoloration with a towel dipped in diluted bleach. Allow it to sit there until the stain is gone, then thoroughly clean the area.